General information on Retina
Retina Eye Hospital is a modern medical institution with an experienced team of consultants. It was founded in 2004 and since then it has welcomed over 8000 patients. It offers a wide variety of ophthalmology procedures, including cataract surgery and laser treatment of retina diseases. The clinic also specializes in the most modern diagnostics – its numerous examinations offered to patients include intraocular pressure and visual field testing, angiography and anterior chamber examination with a UBM device. We also have a modern Optical Coherence Tomography device for retina exams. Our medical team conduct eyelid plastic surgeries and surgeries of skin changes, diabetes-related retinal cryotherapy, and glaucoma surgeries. Making the patient’s vision as good as possible is the priority of our specialists. To achieve this aim our medical team use all their knowledge and multi-year experience. We are distinguished by innovative treatment solutions, a non-standard approach to eye diseases and a friendly attitude towards patients.
The keynote of Retina Eye Hospital reads: "It is good to see more." This modern centre directs its offer to all patients: both to the elderly, who can take advantage of full eye disease diagnostics and treatment (including AMD, i.e., Age-Related Macular Degeneration), and to children. Parents can bring their kids for a specialized examination which allows early detection and treatment of visual impairments. We are the only institution in Poland that offers genetic testing for eye diseases. We cooperate with ophthalmologists from all over the world and thus we have a constant access to the most advanced surgical technologies.
Facilities and modern equipment
Retina Eye Hospital is one of the most state-of-the-art ophthalmology clinics in Poland. We have highly advanced medical equipment at our disposal, which allows us to carry out procedures that are less invasive, require less time for recovery and minimize post-surgical pain. The equipment used in the clinic includes:
- Ultrasound Scanner – used for ultrasonography carried out if ophthalmological examination is impaired (e.g. in the event of cataract) or impossible (e.g. in the event of haemorrhages). The device is equipped with a head that is attached to the eye after applying a special gel on it. The head generates ultrasounds that are reflected from the tissues they run into, which is displayed on the screen in the form of graphs or pictures.
- Optical Coherence Tomography – we also possess a device for the state-of-the-art retina examination. The system has an incredible precision of 3 micrometers, which allows assessing all retina layers with similar accuracy like when observing a tissue under a microscope. The examination assesses the macula, the most important part of the retina.
- Biomicroscope – thanks to this device we examine the front and back eye section. The front section can be examined without the need to dilate the pupils, whereas in order to examine the fundus, special drops dilating the pupils need to be used.
- Magnifying lenses – just like the biomiscroscope, the lenses help our specialists to examine the front and back eye section.
- Exophthalmometer – a device used for exophthalmometry, i.e., measurement of the extent of protrusion of the eyeballs. It is used in cases of exophthalmos or enophthalmos.
- UBM device – used for UBM examination, i.e., ultrasound biomicroscopy, which uses ultrasounds of very high frequency (35–50 MHz). After anaesthesia a special eyecup is inserted, i.e., a flexible container filled with a liquid in which the end of the probe is immersed. It is a non-contact examination (the probe does not have a direct contact with the eyeball). A cross section of the anterior chamber of the eye is displayed on the screen.
- GDX device – using the GDX device allows our specialists to obtain a photography of the fundus without dilating the pupils, using scanning laser polarimetry. This examination plays a significant role in diagnostics and treatment of such diseases as glaucoma or other optic neuropathies.
- Autorefractometer – we also have a computer-based system for eye examination (the examination is called automatic refractometry).
- Medical laser – we use modern laser technologies for retinal surgeries, in cases of, among others, diabetes-related changes, retina degeneration or panphotocoagulation.
- Specular microscope – used for cornea endothelium examination.
- Non-contact tonometer – a device used for measuring intraocular pressure. As opposed to a typical tonometer, which requires anaesthesia and sterilization of the tip, the non-contact tonometer we use allows us to perform the examination with the use of a rapid air pulse (without the need to touch the eyeball).
For the safety and comfort of our Patients
Our clinic is a place where we put all our efforts to make our patients feel comfortable and know that their health is the top priority for our medical team. To this end we have introduced several facilities.
- Modern building – Retina Eye Hospital is located in a new large building (with the area of 400 square meters). We are located on the ground floor of a 3-storey building designed based on the latest technologies. It was created to provide best comfort to the patients during their stay – it is, among others, fully adjusted for the elderly and the handicapped.
- Spacious waiting room – patients can wait for their procedures in a large but cosy waiting room.
- 2 operating rooms – our clinic has two modern operating rooms, which allows our specialists to provide prompt assistance to a larger number of patients.
- Modern approach to patients – considering the need to ensure comfort and save our patients’ time, and facilitate their treatment, we strive to make it possible for them to complete all the necessary diagnostic examinations during one visit.
- Pediatric diagnostic examinations – the medical team of the Retina clinic is specialized in prophylaxis, diagnostics and treatment of children's visual impairments. Thanks to our modern medical equipment we are able to detect eye diseases at an early stage of development, which also significantly affects the effectiveness of treatment.
- Monitoring surgery online – for every procedure performed at our hospital, online monitoring is required. It means that a person accompanying the patient can observe consultants at work at any place online, e.g., at home or in our waiting room. Each patient (their family) receives a unique code that allows watching the procedure in real time.
- Relaxation room for patients – our patients can use our private relaxation rooms to rest after a surgery.
- Surgery loan – we help our patients to obtain a loan for procedures carried out in our hospital.
Accomplishments and certificates of Retina
Our hospital takes pride in its numerous achievements. One of the greatest is the certificate obtained from the American and the English embassy, granting us exclusive right to treat their citizens on the territory of Poland. The fact that we received this certificate confirms clearly the quality of our medical equipment and the high level of the services we provide, as well as the qualifications of our medical staff. We are continually raising our qualifications and introducing new treatment techniques in order to provide our patients with the best possible quality of our services. The effectiveness of our efforts is manifested by the increasing number of people visiting our clinic – since 2004 we have carried out over four thousand ophthalmic surgeries, a few hundred examinations of angiography and ultrasound, and have seen over eight thousand patients. Our clinic is the only one where genetic testing for eye diseases, unique on a European scale, is conducted.
The main asset of our hospital is the experience and knowledge of its consultants. The person directing the clinic, Piotr Fryczkowski, MD, PhD, graduated from the European VitreoRetinal Training School in Bremen. He also improved his skills at courses on advanced retina surgery at the Duke University in North Carolina. He is the laureate of the Polish national competition for conducting vitrectomy at the Central Clinical Hospital of the Ministry of Interior and Administration in Warsaw. Moreover, he is the author of the first Polish eye ultrasonography handbook (published in 2008). And Prof. Andrzej W. Fryczkowski, MD, PhD is considered a pioneer of scientific research in the field of refractive eye surgery and growing cells of the vessel endothelium of eye choroid. He is a genuine expert on eye choroid anatomy and pathology, microcirculation and eye angiography. Another specialist of our clinic, Agnieszka Siennicka, MD, PhD, did a number of internships at universities in Belgium and Germany, thanks to which she can now perform both modern and non-invasive procedures.